Most kitchens contain the following, which work surprisingly well when properly applied to fresh stains.Detergent Solution
- 1 teaspoon non-alkaline, synthetic, soapless detergent suitable for washing of fine fabrics.
- 1 pint lukewarm water.
- This is effective for most food and beverage stains.
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar.
- 3 teaspoons lukewarm water.
- Do NOT use on Rayon.
- This is a mild bleach and may affect some rug dyes. Apply directly to stain with eye-dropper and observe action. Flush immediately with water at first sign of dye change, or when stain fades out. It will act more quickly if a few drops of ammonia water are added just before using.
- Non-flammable household dry-cleaning solvent. Effective on grease-based stains, ball-pen ink, etc. Use sparingly on latex-backed carpets because heavy applications may damage latex. Follow with detergent mixture to remove solvent.